It started with me once I got on my first cruise ship, Enchantment of the Seas, Royal Caribbean’s beautiful (yet older) ship that did a 5 day cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda, several years back! As I sat on that fabulous deck near the pool relaxing, I wondered why I hadn’t been cruising for years!It’s super relaxing, fun and oh so affordable!
I’m here to tell you that a cruise addiction is real. The anecdote: book another cruise! Perhaps you're like me and got the “cruise bug” and now love cruising so much. So, here’s a few signs you too may be addicted to cruisin’!
1. You measure your life in cruises- I think about how many cruises I can afford a year and what things I need to cut back on to make it happen. I watch my budget carefully so that we can afford to vacation once or twice a year!It’s worth making wonderful, lasting memories in my eyes! Perhaps you’ve even lost track of how many cruises you’ve been blessed to go on!
2. You choose your wardrobe with your cruising trips in mind- Trips shopping turn into thoughts of would this work for my next cruise vacation! Or “This will look fabulous for formal night” or “I can wear this sweater when it gets chilly on deck, in the main dining room or in the theater.” You know which fabrics to avoid – and the ones that will do the best in a suitcase for long periods of times. Your addiction’s carried over into your ‘normal’ life as this point.
3. You have developed quite a “cruise reputation”- Hey, when I do ask for time off from my day job (and let’s be honest, I’m only there to fund my fabulous cruising habit in the first place), I nearly always get asked: “Where’s this next cruise going?” And, “You’re taking off for where now?” I run into my co-workers in the hallway and they ask me both if I’ve just been on a cruise and when my next one is going to be. If you’re truly addicted to cruising, people know it and they know you’re the person to ask about a cruise vacation, the one who can tell you all the ins and outs of the itineraries, types of ships, cruise lines, etc. Also, it doesn’t hurt to own a travel agency where I spend much free time studying the industry!
4. Your social media feeds are all about cruises and cruising- You follow the cruise lines, the cruise news and any travel industry experts (look for us on social media too – www.facebook.com/escapedestinationstravel).
You're in chat rooms for cruising, forums and love to help “newbies” find the way. It’s the last thing you look at before bed and perhaps even the first thing you see when you wake up. It’s your screensaver, your wallpaper and perhaps even your status update. You know what you like and if you can’t be on a cruise right this second, you’re going to live vicariously through these cruise social media feeds of someone else. You join the masses in the countdown til cruise time, and have numerous cruise related apps on your phone!
5. You plan your next cruise while on your current one- A true addict is always planning their next fix constantly. Unfortunately (or fortunately for many) a cruise addiction would be no different. Several times I’ve walked off a wonderful cruise ship vacation knowing where and when I’m sailing again and this make me very Happy! I like to have a plan and goal to reach when days are stressful. I’ve even put money down and made a reservation before I left the ship before. If I have to leave my cruise (and the day we get back to port is depressing) then I better be planning a new one and soon!Post Cruise Blues are Real!!!
So, we ask you the following question: You know you’re addicted to cruising when __________?
Please do share your answers with all of us below, shoot us an email and join us in our cruising addiction online too.